1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Anchoring At Oak Hill

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by Jeepster, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster Able Bodied Sailor
    Thread Started By

Can anyone shed some light on how to safely anchor your boat in the current at Oak Hill?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

3. Jeepster

Thread Started By

Boat sideways shrimping.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Good anchors! Manson anchors were recommended to me after a night we had where the anchors we had wouldn't hold. Never had a problem again! In fact one night we had 2 more boats tied up to us in the current and we didn't budge. I don't know if there's anything better.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  5. Jeepster

Thread Started By

Great info. Thank you soooo very much.

Lynnae likes this.
  6. Nautical Gator

Yup Manson the best, I remember when you got it, and Ken and I tied to your boat when the club gave you a new Frame net. Thumbsup1:::1

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/f...horing-and-anchor-retrieval.11002/#post-73822

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/manson-anchor.7666/

Lynnae and mak like this.
  7. Tarpun

Tarpun Pirate

Always had good results with Danforth type anchors with 6' to 8' of chain. I feel the chain is the key with any anchor.

8. Jeepster

Thread Started By

What size chain do you prefer. 3/8?

9. csnaspuck

csnaspuck Pirate in the making

The chain size depends a lot on the anchor and size of your boat. Also I didn't see anyone mention but I use a second anchor out the back to keep from wind or wake spinning you.

10. Tarpun

Tarpun Pirate

Yes, 3/8 " is what I normally use. No matter what style anchor you use the key to fast and secure anchoring the chain. Don't throw your anchor, lower it while slowly backi

11. Tarpun

Tarpun Pirate

I don't think you can have too much chain from an effectiveness standpoint. Too much from a labor standpoint yes.

12. Jeepster

Thread Started By

Thank you for sharing. This is great info. You want your anchor to hold at Oak Hill during high traffic and strong current nights.

13. Nautical Gator

Choosing the Correct Anchor, Chain, and Rope for Your Boat

One of the most commonly asked questions we hear is, “What size anchor do I need for my boat?” To answer that question, we need to ask you a few questions first. What kind of fishing/boating will you be doing? What size boat will you be anchoring? How much space do you have in your anchor locker? How deep do you plan on anchoring? Answering each of these questions will lead you to properly set up your boat for smooth sailing. The average angler, the recreational island hopper, and the hardcore fisherman will all have very different needs in anchor, chain, and rope. So, let’s dive in and take a deeper look.

Choosing the right anchor is not a hard task at all. There is an industry standard chart we display to show you the right size anchor for your size boat. However, smaller inshore boats like skiffs and bay boats may want to get a heavier anchor (like a Sea Claw) to avoid having to use any chain. Using an anchor one step bigger than the recommended size can benefit the larger boats as well by ensuring you’ll properly anchor up the first time, every time.

Next, let’s pick out your chain. There are 3 main sizes in anchor chain: 1/4 inch for smaller inshore boats, 5/16 inch for mid-size boats, and 3/8 inch for larger offshore boats. The standard rule of thumb is 1 foot of chain per foot of boat. However, that rule really only applies to boaters doing offshore deep bottom fishing or those who fish in rough seas. If you intend to go far offshore to fish deep, then follow the rule of thumb. Otherwise, in most cases, the average boat will only need 5 to 10 feet of chain.

Finally, on to your rope. A lot of boaters assume that if they are going to anchor up in 50 feet of water, they will only need 60 feet of rope. But, that is not the case! Generally, there is a 3 to 1 rule to anchor safely. If you were to anchor in 50 feet of water, you would need 150 feet of rope. Once you figure out your max anchoring depth to pick the length, consider how much space you have in your anchor locker to choose the size. There are three main sizes of anchor rope. 3/8 inch for john boats, micro skiffs, and jet skis, 1/2inch for flats boats, bay boats, and sea doos, and 5/8 inch for larger offshore boats. However, if your anchor locker allows for extra room, pick a larger size rope than suggested because it is definitely easier on your hands. If you already have anchor rope but need more, we can always splice more to your existing rope.

With this information you should be set to purchase the right anchor, chain, and rope for your boat.

14. Jeepster

Thread Started By

Great info. Thank You Sam!!!!!

15. Keith

Keith Pirate

Great info. Learning something new everyday. Thanks

16. famous82

famous82 Pirate

This great info. I have been having issues with my danforth holding in high winds. I think I need a longer or heavier chain.

17. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

Bow forward is always the safest way to start shrimping sideways is best when you get there at the currents not too strong

Jeepster likes this.
  18. Fcsoccer11

Fcsoccer11 Pirate

Getting the right position and depth sideways can be tough for sure especially when its busy and the current is ripping, I like to drop one then use my trolling motor to set the 2nd.

Jeepster likes this.
  19. Jeepster

Thread Started By

Great info. Thanks for sharing.