1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

1. GlasstreamGladys

GlasstreamGladys Newbie
    Thread Started By

Hiya all,

Since upgrading to a larger center console (22' vs. previous 15'), I quickly realized the need for a proper anchor rope and anchor. We have both (150' for the line) and the anchor that came with the boat had 2' worth of chain but I'm still struggling to hold when we encounter strong currents in the Edgewater/New Smyrna area.

Doing some research, it seems the anchor (fluke style) is properly sized for the boat. Typically will use anywhere from 50' to 100' worth of line when anchoring (typically less than 15' depth). This leaves the other element (anchor chain) to question. I'm reading a bit of conflicting information -- anywhere from 1/2 the boat length to 1x the boat length worth of chain.

Any recommendations on this topic?

Nautical Gator likes this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Nautical Gator likes this.
  3. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

The more chain the better it should hold. Also the larger the chain is the less you would need to get the same result. As you have seen 2' is probably not going to help much. I would personally try 10-12' for a boat that size.

Anchor styles play a big role as well. Some perform much better than others. Most of the time with smaller boats storage space is a big issue and the anchor locker will only fit a certain size and style.

I have an 18' boat with about 12' of smallish chain and it hold well in most instances. With that said I use the gps trolling motor 95% of the time inshore and 100% when offshore.

4. Mboat

Mboat Blackbeard

That old adage of 8 times the depth doesn't always work.
    The type of bottom has a great deal to do with it, as dose the style of anchor. Rocna style is good for most soft bottoms but a bit expensive.
    My Charts show you have everything up there from Broken shells to hard sand on the outside run and mud and silt on the inside.
    As mkyota said , often the area of stowage available for anchor equipment on board a small boat is very limited.
    Lot of people use extended lengths of rode and keep the system in a laundry basket ready to run.
    For small boats I try to use at least as much chain as you are able to hold while standing at the anchor retrieving station with the anchor it self still in the water. ( about 8 ft to 12 ft. ). This provides ample chaffing protection while on the bottom and forward shank weight to help the anchor rode stay weighted. It is easier to clean the mud and junk off when bringing the anchor home , and serves as a marker to know she's hangin just under the boat, cause if there's that much current, she's already underway and ya may have to trail the hook to keep from making contact if things are tight.
    If your not using a windlass system, choose a size of chain comparable to the anchor rode your using, then go at least 1 size larger
    ( 1/2 inch line go 5/8 chain or larger ) keeping in mind that you yourself have to get chain and hook and all the rode back in the boat, and stowed properly.
    A good quality swivel spliced into the anchor rode at the head of the chain will also make life some what easier , But again another expense for a good Quality swivel that matches chain size.
    If you decide to go with a new system check out Mantus . Expensive , but worth the money. I used one to kedge a good sized piece of motorized fiberglass from a sand bar a few years ago. Only had to reset it once to get another bite.

mak likes this.
  5. Rich M

Rich M Scallywag

I'd run 6-8 ft of chain and consider getting a bigger anchor.

In 15 ft of water, I might toss 25-30 ft of rode over. 50-100 ft seems like a lot.