1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

A Week Of Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Bossman, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Well, I started my vacation on the 20th of September hitting it hard every day hard. I mainly started out hunting one specific feeder that had been over ran with hogs. I wanted to kill a couple off of it so maybe they would leave it alone for a while. I also had one hog that was starting to rare up on the feeder to eat, and would tear it down with very much of that. Long story short, I didn’t get to hunt it enough to kill any of the hogs because they were coming in right at dark and just before day light. One night there was about 15 hogs came in and just push it over and toppled the feeder. So after that I pulled the feeder and the camera. I Had seen a big buck in another big buck in a block that I was wanting to try and hunt but just haven’t had the chance to really get in and scout it out like I’ve wanted to. I hung a stand in an area that I felt was going to be a good travel area. And hunted it for several days with no buck sign, just a couple of does. One afternoon I did have a group of hogs come in and I made a shot on a Barr that weighed around 225Lbs. I hit him in what I thought was a good shot. The light was fading so I went a got a flashlight and a pistol and started looking for him. I started in waste high wax mitral bushes with a good blood trail, after trailing him for 100 yds. The bushes became shoulder high and thick at this point I decided that I better call for help. Because 1. If I come up on this hog and he is alive I might need some help. 2. If I come up on this hog out here in this shoulder high wax mitral I’m gonna need some help. 3. Plain and simple weather I find the hog or not when it comes time to get out of there I’m gonna need some help because I’ll be lost. I called them and they were on their way so I continued to look. When they got there I had to shine my flash into the air so they could drive the 4 wheeler out to me. We looked for about 2 hours a finally ran out of blood with no avail. The rest of the week I spent jumping from stand to stand just trying to see what might be in the area. I saw several different bucks 3 different 6 points, several spikes, a 4 point and countless does. I ended up the week with no meat to show for it but the real hunt will begin in a couple of weeks when Black Powder starts. That will be the next 2 week Vacation.

IMG_3666.jpg

Screenshot_20190924-181123_SCOUTEK.jpg

Screenshot_20190924-181146_SCOUTEK.jpg

20190928_084044.jpg

IMG_20190910_125228_02.jpg

20190922_081845.jpg

20190914_180246.jpg

Greenedog, mak and Nautical Gator like this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Sorry you weren’t able to find your hog. They are tough SOBs. I arrowed one behind our cabin many years ago. (Haven’t seen any since then after a huge group went through and tore up the whole side of the hill.). I made a perfect shot right through the top of the heart and both lungs. Followed a huge blood trail a hundred yards and found a bloody mess at the bottom of a tree where it had rubbed off and broke the arrow. Then the blood petered out and I nearly gave up. Eventually found him but had gone over 200 yards into the thickest laurels on the property. I was crawling on hands and knees with pistol...
    I had to stop hanging my deer feeders up here years ago due to bears destroying them like the hogs are doing to you. Although mine were coming in one at a time, not stacked two high like yours are...
    I’m not seeing any buck activity up here and know my best shot for a nice buck will be at my friend’s place in S GA. You have some nice ones there and it’s juts a matter of time until you get the drop on one. Wish you had been able to put one on the ground but if you are like me, it’s just nice to be out enjoying the hunt.
    Sounds like you let a lot of young bucks walk. Did you let the does go because you weren’t meat hunting or did you just never get a clear shot?

3. Bossman

Thread Started By

No I had a plenty of clear shots right under me I was just looking for Mr. Big.

4. Rich M

Rich M Mate

You are living the dream. Sounds like a nice week off of work.

I'm looking forward to some more hunting stories once you get back out there - any maybe take the young-uns...

5. mak

That last pic is another reason I like the colder weather...

6. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

7. Bossman

Thread Started By

He is in the freezer to be mounted.

mak likes this.
  8. Bossman

Thread Started By

9. mak

Great video explanation. Probably the best I’ve seen to show a new hunter.
    I have some friends who swear by the high-shoulder shot. It definitely drops them in their tracks but there is less room for error.

10. mak

:cool: Be sure to post a pic of that once you get it done.

11. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Deckhand

Dang, sorry about the hog - they're tough with archery, heart is so tucked up under that front leg it almost doesn't feel right aiming there with an arrow. Good luck with the smoke pole!

Bossman likes this.
  12. Bossman

Thread Started By

The count down is on for that vacation!

gatortrout19 likes this.