1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

A Need To Know

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by davidbc, Jul 16, 2016.

1. davidbc

davidbc Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Can anyone give me an idea as to where in my area I can go and actually catch fish ? I'm in the Merritt Island area. Not real particular as to whether they are keepers or not, just want to catch some fish ! I' boat-less and will be inshore fishing

2. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Have you tried any of the bridges?
    Where is Merrit Island?

davidbc likes this.
  3. davidbc

Thread Started By

East-central Brevard, I've tried a couple of areas around bridges, piers, boat ramps and such. Haven't had much luck, except for catfish, but did get that nurse shark on my profile pic down in port Canaveral a few days ago. Thought that I'm either doing something wrong or not in the right places ! Got any suggestions on where and how to catch some fish ?

4. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

I see folks pulling fish at the Port St John boat ramp. The fishing pier in Titusville is also active sometimes... it is just after the Coast Guard station before going over the bridge to Canaveral National Seashore. There are also a lot of folks on the banks of Haulover Canal and, near the bridge or at the ends you can catch gamefish, mostly everywhere else you will find cats (the voice of experience). Good luck! The canal is deep but occasionally you will see reds on the surface...

davidbc likes this.
  5. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

What bait and rigs are you using?

6. davidbc

Thread Started By

Thanks for tthe suggestions

7. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Listen to Bob, we need to know what you are using for fishing?

8. davidbc

Thread Started By

Thanks guys ! I'm very limited on my choice of tackle and baits right now, wont get into why here. I have your basics right now and looking all the time to add to it. I'm also limited on my baits. I try to use either live mullet or shrimp when possible, but that has been getting pretty costly, so have been using frozen ones. I do use a small cast net but haven't been able to get any. In most cases I'll use the mullet but will use the shrimp as my occasional fishing buddy is a shrimp guy. Except for that nurse shark and a very few other small species, I've been hitting the catfish in abundance. Which are fun to catch, loving that fact, but heard are not good eating. I would like some input on what to use, how to rig it, how to use it, best times to fish, etc... All the info I can learn from yall to catch fish is a great plus for me. I love catching all kinds of fish, but would like to be able to also get something I can bring home and release the rest. Thank You

9. davidbc

Thread Started By

Also would like to know the best times to throw the net to get my own mullet.

10. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

For general all around fishing use the lightest egg sinker you can throw and 15" leader with no more than 1/0 hook. Frozen shrimp are fine for general fishing. Just use small pieces. As you gain some knowledge you can upgrade your rigs. Check out the Fishing School and Tips section on the forum. Lots of good stuff there. And let us know how you do!

11. davidbc

Thread Started By

Thank You, I'll check there and try that

12. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

don't expect anything very large inshore, you should be trying for mangrove snapper right now, for they are in thick and are great eating. they can be found under most docks and you can use live shrimp, minnows or small cast netted bait.

use a 1/0 or 2/0 hook, slip sinker and 20 lb leader

davidbc likes this.
  13. davidbc

Thread Started By

Thanks, not to concerned with the size anyway, would like a few keepers, mainly looking for the thrill of catching. Thanks for the info !

14. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

So sorry, I know where Merritt Island is, what I meant to type was Where IN Merritt Island?

15. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

If you need bait and don't want to buy it, put a sabiki rig on a regular rod with a egg sinker on the end and cast it out. You can jig it a little bit or let it sit. I have caught all sorts of baits on it. Red or green from Wally World will run you about 1.44 for the green and I think the red ones were about a buck more, I think the hook size on those is a 6. Be careful not to use a weight that is too big if you cast it out, don't want your rod to break. If you see some bait moving, put it in front of them. Try not to spook them, (they spook easily). Can even let it sit on the bottom and when you feel the jiggle, just reel it in. If you get big bait you can cut it up in strips, like a fillet and put a strip on a hook for many different types of fish. Remember a lot of fish like structure. So, don't cast your bait away from bridges and pilings. If you get out at night, scoop up those crabs f0r bait, big ones cut them in half or even quarters. If your at the beach you can dig for sand fleas.
    Also, as Bob posted above, use a fluoracarbon leader 20lb or 30 lb and a small black hook. 1 or 2 at most. (I prefer Demon Circle) don't use any stainless or shiny gold hooks. I put my sinkers above a barrel swivel. I like small swivels like a size 7, and a lot of the time I will use a split shot #5 even, if the water isn't moving much.

Sam has posted an awesome video about catching fiddler crabs you should check that out.
    Good catching

David Orlando likes this.
  16. davidbc

Thread Started By

Thanks, I'll try this out, I appreciate all this help. Trying to get back into it from scatch has been rough. Thanks again!!