1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

21' To 24' Bay/flats...pathfinder Or Sportsman

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by GTURN, Nov 25, 2017.

1. GTURN

GTURN Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Hey guys looking for some advice on a new boat. I live in Jacksonville and my house backs up to a creek off of the St. Johns River.

I just sold my Mako 18 LTS and looking for something with more HP and larger fuel tank. I started recently fishing docks and flats for reds and or trout in the river and or creeks. I sometimes get in pretty skinny water but really would like to travel further up the river (or out to intracoastal) and I have zero interest in offshore.

I "think" I have narrowed it down to two types of boats.

The Pathfinder 2200 or 2300 HPS or the Sportsman Tournament 214 or 234. Both boats looks great....but Sportsman is $12-15k cheaper. Is re-sale/quality that much better with Pathfinder?

Any other thoughts on similar manufacturers I should be looking at?

Thanks.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I am not sure which is the better built boat.
    Pathfinders are popular and made well.

I would go with a 23ft vs the 21ft... that extra two feet is a lot of needed floor space.
    made sure you get two livewells.
    two or three batteries, and a trolling motor...
    a good HD touch screen fishfinder, with Navionics card.
    the LED floor light are worth the extra money...

Good luck...

3. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

I am a Pathfinder owner, I have a 22’ with a Vmax 150. My boat is older but it is in decent shape. Are you buying new?
    I like the Sportsman as well. The Sportsman seems to have a very similar boat to the Pathfinder and finishes is where you may find the difference. The new boats are much heavier than the old ones and the 150 4stroke to me seems a little underpowered. If you can afford the larger engine I would go with it. I dont really have anything negative to say about either. I do know that the 23 is an HPS (high Performance Step) hull. Give lift and a lot of speed. Should do 65 with the 250 vmax.
    I dont think the Sportsman offers a step hull. The 22’ with a 150 you will get 46-47 WOT. Probably 55 -56 with the bigger engine. A little slower if you put a top on. I only know Sportsman thru a friend of a friend. He likes his but haven’t had a chance to fish on one. I like the fact that the newer boats are family friendly and have the jump seats in the back. The Pathy 22 TRS is the one with those jump seats. At least 2 live wells and if you planning on shallower waters you may think about adding a jack plate. If the choice was mine I would definitely go with the bigger of which ever you decide. The 23 HPS has the motor mounted on that Bustle transom and gives more deck space in back. Also, you need the trolling motor with the anchor lock, its a game changer.
    Hope this helps. If there’s any thing I can help you with let me know.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

anyone doing 65 0n the river should be shot JMOP!!!

5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Lol, most areas I believe have speed restrictions.

Let me rephrase
    “Boat should be able to do 65, not that you should but It could..”

6. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I've been the proud owner of a Sportsman 214 tournament for about two years now. I have a couple hundred hours of running time on it. I occasionally take it as far as 50+ miles offshore from Crystal River on smooth days. Mine has a 150 SHO Yamaha. I love my boat. I got a year end model for about $40k including hyd. jack plate, hyd. steering tilt wheel, polling platform, all led lighting to include bait wheels, etc. I can do about 48 WOT with two people. I usually cruise about 38 mph at around 4800 rpm. A 200 would give a little more speed but less gas mileage. I also installed trolling motor, side scan HB, VHF, and an EPIRB for offshore. If you haven't made a purchase yet and would like to get some feedback on the Sportsman feel free to call me. 352-446-5863.

20160722_195339.jpg

IMG_20150130_114537_601.jpg

IMG_20150130_114552_048.jpg

IMG_20150130_114637_518.jpg

Srfrdave likes this.