1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

2013 How To Keep Fishing Records - Log

Discussion in 'Fishing Calendar, and Member Stats' started by fishingfool, Nov 14, 2015.

1. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant
    Thread Started By

I started fishing with soft baits in June 2011. I decided to keep a record of my catches including surf fishing and where I was fishing. Most computers have a calendar program installed but I use one called Calendar Creator. You can also Google free calendars and find dozens of them online. Here's a link to one I just checked out:
    http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/print.html?year=2013&country=1&cols=1&pbr=1&display=1&df=1

I have a binding machine but you can use a three ring binder. I printed out several years worth of monthly calendars. I printed them back to back to save paper and space. There's plenty of room to add your catch and make notes. You can also buy a daily or monthly planner. Here's the daily calendar by each month that I use:

77416983ebe8ff8e9f5ff4f1e92e0394774b8314_r.jpg

I went into my word processor and created a fourteen column text box. Or you can just use notebook paper and rule the vertical lines. This will give you your monthly totals. Put this page at the end of the year. Here's that page.

b192691807e49e07fc68ec9bdb8aef063c7e13ba_r.jpg

I can look at the daily catches on the Monthly calendar page or go to the end of year and look at the monthly totals. I list every single fish including the trash and pan fish.

I can look at any day or month. Weather conditions and tides would be a plus. Get creative and try some different ideas and let us know what you use!

2. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant
    Thread Started By

Not only do I keep stats, I keep all of my photos by month and year. Also, I keep all of my posts (fish reports only) in another folder going back to 2011. So far I have 309 pages of text. I figure when I can't fish anymore I can sit in the rocking chair and read the book!

mkyota1 and Nautical Gator like this.
  3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

excellent book keeping Bob

4. Vectorman

Vectorman Pirate

I need to start keeping a log, after a couple of years, the patterns will start to emerge.

5. mak

mak Mate

I hadn’t seen this post last month when I posted here:
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/fishing-logs.15595/
    I’ve always been big on spreadsheets for everything but had been looking at different methods of logging my trips.
    I’ve been trying to keep up with some details of my fishing trips this past year in an effort to pattern my success and failures and eventually gain a little more consistency. I was wondering how others keep track and what they do for logging. Notebook, paper and pencil? Calendar? Or a smartphone App?
    I recently did some searching for smartphone apps that might fit the bill. The one I like the best of what I’ve seen thus far is called AnglR. (No “E”). It automatically tracks and maps your trip. Easily adds waypoints for fish caught and automatically maintains details like temp, barometer, wind, cloud cover, and water temp if there is a nearby usgs gauge. You can tag each catch with a pic, tackle used, etc.
    I like Anglr, and could see myself using it but at the time it was missing one huge feature. It did not automatically track the Tide Data...
    However, they did just come out with a new version that supposedly tracks tide data in their premium subscription maps. Unfortunately even when I tried the 30 day subscription trial it didn’t pick up any tide stations local to me.
    Biggest problem I see for an App like this is that it interrupts my actual fishing and I have to take a minute to pull out the phone, open the app and log the catch. Easier for me to do when I get home, but then it’s not as accurate because I forget some catches and the correct times, etc.
    Has anyone looked at it or tried it out? Any others Apps that you use?