1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Treasure Hunting Equipment

Discussion in 'Member Hobbies' started by Nautical Gator, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Treasure Hunting Equipment

Does anyone do this as a hobby in Florida?

I'm looking at the
    Garrett AT MAX Metal Detector PN: 1142060

upload_2017-6-20_7-44-19.jpeg

2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

You would be surprised at the people that I've seen at the beach doing the treasure thing. Funny thing reminds me of a story, as my girls were growing up I put them on a treasure. I had a metal detector in my work truck and they always wanted to play with it. So one day I went out in my yard under the old oak tree and planted some money about 6" deep. They want to play so I told them to come over here under this old tree and look you would never know what you might find. I took a while to get them over to the spot that I had buried the money. Finally the detector screamed loudly and their eyes got big. We went and got a little spade and they started to dig. I had to show them how to look for it. Finally when they found the money their eyes got as big as golf balls. Well that took care of that they were busy for the next 2 hours going all over that tree looking for money. To this day they still think that they found money that had been there for years. (good thing they didn't look at the date) I can remember in the last year they were telling a friend about that and asked me Dad do you remember when we found that money under tree... I said OH YEAH I remember. ;) Memories were made that day.

Shoosh Smiley Emoticon1::1

3. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Good luck...Let me know when you find that pot of gold!

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Looks fun. I was checking out some detectors a long time back but never pulled the trigger.

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Metal Detectors are for the lost and found, like on the beach, rings, coins, etc.

6. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

7. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Florida Metal Detecting Organizations

Bradenton, FL - Manatee Search & Recovery Club, Gary Miller, 649 Cortez Rd W Bradenton, FL 34207
    Chuluota, FL - Florida Marine Historical and Archeological Society Chuluota FL 32766 ronwag1@msn.com or Steve Davenport, PO Box 991, Maitland, FL 32751
    Dania, FL - South Florida Treasure Hunters Club, Michael Bethan, PO Box 263 Dania, FL 33004 soflatreasurehunters.tripod.com/index.htm
    Fort Meyers, FL - Southwest Florida Treasure Hunter's Association, N. Fort Meyers, FL (813)656-3532
    Jacksonville, FL - Historical Recovery Association of North Florida - www.jaxtreasures.org/ or home.comcast.net/~youndd/
    Lakeland, FL - Imperial Treasure Hunter, Andrew Johnson, 1903 Clubhouse Rd, Lakeland, FL 33813
    Lake Worth, FL - Gold Coast Treasure Club geocities.com/gctreasureclub/index.html
    Largo, FL - Suncoast Research & Recovery Club, Largo, FL www.srarc.com email: contact@srarc.com Contact: Wally Swartz
    Miami, FL - Treasure Trove Chapter, Alan Davis, PO Box 835161, Miami, FL 33283, 305-562-0137
    Morriston, Fl - Mid Florida Historical Research & Recovery Association Morriston, Fl 32668 www.mfhrra.com
    Naples, FL - Tropic Treasure Hunters & Recovery Club, Ron Lord, 2102 Alamanda Dr. #203 Naples, FL 34102
    New Port Richey, FL - Weeki Wachee Metal Detecting Club, Donald, Margaret & Erik Bing, 3537 Glenburn Ct. New Port Richey, FL 34655 rpdilley@earthlink.net
    Ormond Beach, FL - Dig & Find Coinshooters and Historical Club, Mark Estes, 1186 Oceanshore Blvd., # 157 Ormond Bch., FL 32176
    Palm City, FL - Treasure Coast Metal Detecting Club, Scott Hewitt, 3043 SW Summer Ave. Palm City, FL 34990 561-286-9412
    Panama City, FL - Panhandle Research And Recovery, Jay Easkold, P.O. Box 15384 Panama City, FL 32406
    Pensacola, FL - Pensacola Historical & Treasure Hunters Association, Rosemary Sanders 914 N. 63rd Ave. Pensacola, FL 32506 (904)456-6182
    Sanford, FL - Central Florida Metal Detecting Club Sanford, FL www.thecfmdc.com
    Sebastian, FL - Treasure Coast Archaeological Society Sebastian, FL www.tcas.us
    Tampa Club West State Arch. Soc. http://sites.google.com/site/wsasinc/ Philip Myers contact: philip@myersdepot.com
    Tarpon Springs, FL - Cachehunters999 George Kotsidis, P.O. 267. Tarpon Springs, FL 34688 727-944-2206

Metal Detecting Pages

8. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

I picked up a couple of metal detectors last year

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard

I belong to the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club. They meet monthly and show recent finds. They welcome new visitors to the club meetings. You can talk with members and get their opinions on which detectors they like. The club puts on competitions, assist law enforcement, helps the boy scouts and does so much more.

Last year I found a huge diamond ring on the beach. I was so excited until I turned the ring over and saw rust on the band. For a moment I thought I found some $'s.

10. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Cool which ones did you get? and have you been out detecting yet?

11. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Cool I may have to check them out, how often do you go to the meetings?

and which detector do you have?

upload_2017-6-21_5-54-36.gif

12. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard

I have a Minelab Excalibur 2 from Kellico in Orlando. It is able to be used while diving. I haven't been to a meeting this year. I use it often.
    You can always find change at popular spots where people congregate by the water. I really want to dive something in the 60-90 foot range. They are a lot of fun.
    Competition hunting at night by sound only with no lights is really fun. CFMDC puts on these events in Daytona on the beach. It is addictive as fishing and diving are. Have fun!

13. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Wow that looks like an interesting unit.

14. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

There is a guy at the Lake Helen flea market Saturday morning that has his findings displayed and for sale. He also sells new and used units. He usually has a few used units on hand. New units he orders. Seems like high end stuff. At least the price is high end.

15. surf40me

surf40me Pirate in the making

I have a Bounty Hunter II it's about 5 years old. The issue I have with mine is I wear glasses and even with prescription sunglasses its hard to see the screen the display is so small. And when you wear the headsets and a hat its sweat haven. I did have a guy come ask me if I could help him, he dropped his car keys in the sand at the beach near his umbrella. It didn't take long to find them and he did give me $20.00 for my help. Most money I made in 5 years, but i don't use it as much as I'd like.

16. Sparkplug5290

Sparkplug5290 Pirate

I too want to start treasure hunting with a detector and a buddy that i know has been doing for a good while now has had some success on and in the beaches too the south (Vero and south ) and he advises me to purchase a Whites brand waterproof with the headsets and complete kit also recommends getting it with some kind of pulse option.
    I always see people treasure hunting alon the beaches New Symrna and Daytona. just a little FYI

17. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard

Good hunting places are the yards of old homes or where homes once stood. Swimming holes, gravel and dirt parking lots, small public parks, old trash piles, shallow old dock pilings, the beach after big storms are good spots. Anyplace that was once and is now a meeting place. Look at old local pictures and you might find that the vacant lot was once a place where people used to congregate. I found a lot of change and bottle caps at a small swimming hole in the Ocala Forrest.
    Make sure you keep the bottle caps and throw away. Always cover your fresh dug holes wherever you dig.
    I know a guy that found a cache of Spanish coins south of Bethune Beach after Hurricane David in the late 70's or early 80's. Good stuff is out there so get hunting.

18. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

I picked up a couple of bounty hunters. They seem to work pretty good. No big finds as of yet

19. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Cabin Boy

Was the swimming hole in the ONF blue sink?

20. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By