1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

1. Michael2751

Michael2751 Newbie
    Thread Started By

any reports of white shrimp in little pine area?

2. Im wondering too. Havent heard anything.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

The winter shrimping season is over, there are always some shrimp around but the run is over.

4. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

Shrimping is not big in the keys like it is up here.

5. Nautical Gator

Lots of Anglers shrimp in the Keys

6. robthetimekeeper

Some people do shrimp in the keys but it certainly isn't as prevalent there as it is in this area. I lived in the lower keys for more than 30 years and never really knew about shrimping with lights until I moved up here. Most locals down there don't bother with it.

7. Nautical Gator

I ship lots of lights to anglers in the Keys, so I know that they are shrimping there. although, east coast, west coast, south Florida, and inland river shrimping all have variations of when, where and how. Dip nets, cast nets, traps, and Ozella etc. Anglers always find them and a way to harvest. same goes for off season shrimping, the shrimp are always around, just not in numbers, but for someone only wanting some bait shrimp, it is doable.

8. robthetimekeeper

We always used to dip them off the seawall in the wintertime using a flashlight to see their glowing eyes. Never got five gallons that way but always enough for bait or dinner. All the shrimp for sale at the bait shops are trucked down from Biscayne Bay and you can't eat them because they are loaded with iodine. Even in the summertime, the dock at Little Palm Island always had a steady stream of shrimp and crabs floating by under the lights so I know they are there. But usually when you see a boat with underwater lights at night it is because they are bullynetting lobster.

9. I've heard stories of summer daytime shrimp runs in the keys but I've never been able to catch the run. Of course that could just be fish tales I've heard from some old lobsterman.