1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping Lights, The True Facts

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by Nautical Gator, Oct 24, 2015.

1. David Holbrook

David Holbrook Junior Member

I use to make my shrimp lights with baby food jars, 12 volt taillight bulb, and vegetable oil. The oil was to give the light a golden glow.

2. That sounds pretty cool I'd imagine the oil waterproofed them too.

3. jbn69lac

jbn69lac Pirate in the making

Very cool info. Will try!

4. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

What kind of LED light strip do you recommend using. The tri chip seems to advertise that they are the brightest or does it really matter. And would it be better to have shorter bright lights or longer bright lights. I guess that would be a personal preference. Thanks

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

You are a stand up guy Sam. You build and sell lights, yet don't blow smoke up anyones $$$ to sell them. And you are concerned to help someone build there own lights successfully. Don't get any better than that.
    With no direction in the early 80's I started with lights made out of jars and head lights, weighted with lead. Then to just car lights, then to 12vdc RV lights, then to star fire. Did I catch shrimp. Yep I sure did. Full pulls, yep. I cringe when I hear someone tell a new-be you need $300 bucks worth of of lights, or your wasting your time. What a crock. Are the new lights nice? they sure are. do they have advantages, yes they do. Do you need them to go shrimping, NO WAY! We had more fun cobbling stuff together and could not wait to get out there and see if it worked. My with took our old K-mart netsand sewed onion sacks in the bottom for a sock. Hey it worked!

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. Cobia300

Cobia300 Powder Monkey

Back in the day, we used gas lanterns with the cloth mantles, hung them off the rail of the Venetian and Rickenbacker Causeways and dip for them. The lanterns were kept just above the water and we'd pull bucketfulls. I don't think the light matters much. As long as you can see 'em you'll get 'em

lobsterman likes this.
  7. DipShrimp

DipShrimp Pirate

Followed directions for shrimp lights posted here to a T and still working great 3 years later!

8. 1Adamstanley

1Adamstanley Greenhorn

Have some LED's I made 3 years ago still working today... But still love a fired up Aida hanging from the bridge!

9. Ron Streiff

Ron Streiff Pirate

Good to know.... Am trying to get things together for a shrimp trip this weekend

10. wantabe

wantabe Pirate in the making

Love reading back in the day. Love the old days

11. I am looking for some super bright thru-hull leds preferably green that are not rediculously expensive any ideas.?

12. Otter

Otter Greenhorn

Always used a Couple colmans with green acrylic paint on the glass, just for eye strain. Never noticed a diff in catch yields form white or green.

13. diverdown7

diverdown7 Greenhorn

Great tips, I need to try this out

14. Ghjdndk

Ghjdndk Newbie

Did not know this. Thanks!

15. I'm thinking about getting lights that sit on the bottom. Seeing how shrimp aren't attracted to the light my experience is they run from it. So if the light is on the bottom they will come to the top. Any thoughts??

16. Jared

Jared Pirate

Great info thank you all

17. Laterthebetter

Laterthebetter Greenhorn

Great info on here. Glad I found this site!

18. landbaron

landbaron Greenhorn

Great thread! I have used white and green lights and prefer the green due to them being easier on the eyes as mentioned above. Thanks for the ongoing discussions.

19. TIMP5719

TIMP5719 Greenhorn

thanks excellant info yes being in the right spot does make a difference no matter what light you have

20. Nick Pulaski

Nick Pulaski Newbie

In need of some cheap for now lights to hold me over until I can buy some nice gator tough lights any suggestions even if some one can make them for me or used?