1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Striped Marlin Report From Cabo San Lucas 3-9-2017

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing Reports' started by xfernal, Mar 13, 2017.

1. xfernal

xfernal Newbie
    Thread Started By

My son wanted to go to Cabo for his spring break and do a little fishing. We chartered RenegadeMike in hopes of targeting Striped Marlin and Swordfish on his customized 31' Bertram. Instead of following the fleet, we headed out toward 1150 area to look for some early season Stripeys. Within 5 minutes of putting out the lines we had a nice knockdown and short run before coming unbuttoned on the Eye Catcher Lures - Hatteras Classic Series - Voodoo lure with a lumo skirt. We trolled the area some more but could not raise the fish again.

A little further out the frigates and porpoises were working and we saw lots of life, including several Humpback whales. The tuna were there, but would were hanging out 100' down and were not interested in our offering.

We found some nice water between 1600-1700' and tried a couple of drifts for Swordfish. We had one bite, but it never came tight. However, my new swordfish rigs worked great and with some more time I am sure we will hook one this year in NC.

With only an hour left of fishing time, we started trolling back toward the marina. I was beginning to think that we may get skunked when it happened. I saw a bill and distinct pectoral fin miss the starboard lure. We dropped back naked mackerel without luck and thought we must've missed him when the port short got nailed by a nice sized Striped Marlin.

After strapping my son in to the belt, which took some getting use to for his first time, he started to make some headway on the fish. After about a 30 minute fight, we brought it boat-side for a clean release.

We took some underwater shots of the marlin, While the fishing was a little slow, seeing the smiles and look on his face was priceless. This was my son's first marlin ever, and something he nor I will ever forget.

jdham and mkyota1 like this.
  2. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Congrats on your first Marlin son!.. I hope you were thrown in the water when you got back to the dock! ..This is a ritual after landing your 1st Marlin!
    Would love to see the vid but it's not here. Being Confused1::1 How about some pics?.. That would be great also.

The Nasty Hooker likes this.
  3. jdham

jdham Deckhand

Great report! Thanks for making it. Congrats on your son's first Marlin. That is an accomplishment to remember.

Would love to watch the vid and/or see some pics.

4. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Hey where's the video...lol. Way to go. Cabo is definetly on my bucket list. I know that the fishing is generally off the charts. When do the roosterfish show up?

5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

I have fished that area many times. Its the best place to fish imo for billfish. Had a great time fishing for Rosters out of a Panga there as well. Good times. thanks for the post.

6. ebopper

ebopper Newbie

thanks for the great report