1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Launch Ramps George's Bar - Mosquito Lagoon And Indian River Lagoon

Discussion in 'Kayaking - Ramps, Locations, Fishing Trip Plans' started by Nautical Gator, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

George's Bar, South Atlantic ave, South Cape Canaveral, Mosquito lagoon

George's Bar
    South Atlantic ave
    South Cape Canaveral
    Mosquito lagoon

The Mosquito Lagoon itself is littered with numerous significant sandy shoals or sandbars scattered throughout the estuary in no particular pattern, It is extremely challenging for boaters new to the lagoon to safely navigate its shallows, so until you learn the waters, please be safe and do your best not to damage sea grasses with your engine. One theory is at one time thousands of years ago, several inlet passes opened into the Mosquito Lagoon from the ocean during hurricanes and then closed up naturally leaving the sandy tidal shoals behind. Some of the significant shoals in the mosquito lagoon from north to south are:
    Lagoons
    • GEORGE'S BAR, Mosquito lagoon Located at the north end of Mosquito Lagoon, this bar is the closest to Eldora and the Cape Canaveral National Seashore.
    • TIGER SHOALS, Mosquito lagoon Look for fish on the eastern dropoff in four feet of water at this expansive grass flat in the middle of Mosquito Lagoon.
    • WHALE TAIL, Mosquito lagoon Schools typically congregate on the "fluke" end of this bar, located on the southern end of Mosquito Lagoon.
    • RAILROAD TRESTLE, Mosquito lagoon The deeper dredge holes often hold plenty of fish near this railroad trestle that spans the Indian River Lagoon.
    • HEAD, Mosquito lagoon Roaming schools of bulls can be found in the extreme upper end of the lagoon during the fall spawning season.
    • Turtlepen Point, Mosquito lagoon In the southern part of the lagoon lies Turtlepen Point in Brevard County - so named after sea turtles were kept there in pens, waiting to be slaughtered and cooked by natives, Stiner said
    Like most of the lagoons in the Indian River Lagoon system, with the exception of man-made dredge holes and the Intracoastal Waterway passing through it, the Mosquito Lagoon features an average depth of 3 to 4 feet, so if you happen to fall in, just stand up.

You can launch you Kayak at the CNS boat ramp
    Beach parking Lot 5

Launch point: Boat ramp is inside the park entrance and at Beach Parking Lot 5; kayak/canoe launches inside the park entrance, behind the Visitor Center and along the Eldora/River Rd. Loop.

28°51'27.8"N 80°46'37.3"W
    upload_2017-3-3_17-18-7.png
    upload_2017-3-3_10-25-5.png

upload_2017-3-3_10-9-26.png

upload_2017-3-4_2-15-10.png

upload_2017-3-4_2-16-34.png

Lagoon 1.jpg

mosquito_lagoon.jpg

nvanprooyen and The Nasty Hooker like this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Fishing The Pole And Troll Zone
    Boundaries In The Mosquito Lagoon
    The Pole & Troll Zone was created initially by a group of fishermen concerned about the integrity of the grass flats and fishery in the Mosquito Lagoon. This shallow water area encompasses Preachers Island, The Glory Hole, Tiger Shoal, Bird Island, Vann's Island & Slough along with other areas in the northeast of the lagoon.

Concerns about rude boating habits and environmental concerns led to an experimental area that has turned into park policy. The Pole and Troll area of the Mosquito Lagoon is now regularly patrolled and protected by both Federal and State officials.

Aome great fishing can be found almost year around in the Mosquito Lagoon, but the slower pace and less practical approach to the Pole and Troll Zone has made a difference in the fishery as a result of better practices by anglers. Sure it takes longer to use your trolling motor or simply pole back to the remote areas, but many fish have found shelter and relief from the constant fishing pressure.

Mosquito Lagoon Boat Access ramps, the below are the main boat ramps, there are other side of the road places to launch your Kayaks.
    • Hiles Boulevard Boat Ramp (Small boats or canoes)
    • Canaveral National Seashore - North Apollo Beach Paved, Boat Ramp
    • Canaveral National Seashore - South Apollo Beach Primitive, Boat Ramp
    • George Kennedy Memorial Park, Boat Ramp
    • Menard May Park Kayak, Launch Ramp
    • Bissitt Bay Fish Camp, Boat Ramp
    • Indian Mound Fish Camp, Boat Ramp
    • Lopez RV Park & Marina, Boat Ramp
    • Scottsmoor Landing, Boat Ramp
    • Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Beacon 42, Boat Ramp
    • Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Scherry Canal Primitive, Launch Ramp
    • Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Bio Lab, Boat Ramp
    • Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Bairs Cove, Boat Ramp
    • Merritt Island NWR Haulover Canal, Kayak Launch Site
    • Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Dummit Cove Canoe Launch (Sendler Education Outpost), Boat Ramp
    • Mims Non-Motorized, Boat Launch Ramp
    • Titusville Marina Park, Boat Ramp
    • Parrish Park - Max Brewer Parkway, Boat Ramp

upload_2017-3-3_17-14-48.png

upload_2017-3-3_17-15-55.png

There are 14 islands to camp on

cnss%20map.jpg

Fast facts about the Indian River Lagoon
    Watershed
    • The lagoon watershed covers 2,284 square miles and the lagoon’s waters span 353 square miles.
    • Five counties border the lagoon; however, portions of seven counties are within the watershed.
    • Five inlets connect the lagoon with the Atlantic Ocean. However, the inlet at Port Canaveral has locks that separate the port basin from the lagoon, limiting the exchange of waters.
    Not a river
    The lagoon is 156-mile-long estuary where salt water from the Atlantic Ocean mixes with freshwater from the land and tributaries. The resulting brackish (slightly kayak) water is moved more by the wind than by the tide and does not flow from headwaters to a mouth like a river. The width of the lagoon varies from one-half mile to five miles, with an average depth of four feet.

Three sections
    The Indian River Lagoon is comprised of three lagoons:
    • Mosquito Lagoon (from Ponce de Leon Inlet to the north end of Merritt Island)
    • Banana River (an offshoot of the Indian River on Merritt Island’s eastern shore)
    • Indian River (the main body of water, extending from northern Brevard County to the southern boundary of Martin County)
    Supporting the economy
    The lagoon is responsible for one-seventh of the region’s economy. The overall, annual economic value of the lagoon was estimated at $3.7 billion in 2007.

Fisheries
    The lagoon is the cradle of the ocean, serving as a spawning and nursery ground for many fish. Lagoon fisheries generate an estimated $30 million in revenues annually and the lagoon provides approximately 50 percent of annual fish harvest along the east coast of Florida.

Highway of the East Coast
    The lagoon is located along the Atlantic Flyway, a key biological highway for many migrating birds.

Wildlife
    • The lagoon basin contains a large number of species relative to other estuaries in North America, with:
      • 685 fish species
      • 370 bird species
      • 2,100 plant species
      • 2,200 animal species
    • Ocean beaches in the lagoon region attract some of the highest numbers of nesting sea turtles in the western hemisphere.
    • The lagoon is the only location in the world where the Atlantic salt marsh snake is found.
    Plant life
    • The northern limit of mangroves is within the lagoon boundaries.
    • Maritime hammocks, which include a number of tropical and subtropical trees and other plants, are found in the region, but not further north.
    • The lagoon contains 27 percent of eastern Florida’s coastal salt marshes.

3. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Other Fishing and Kayak Places In Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River Lagoon are Called:
    • Callaisa Creek
    • Big Cove
    • Browns Bay
    • Snake Creek
    • Webster Creek
    • Elwinder Creek
    • Bottle Island
    • Bottle Island Creek
    • Fox Spli
    • Sedar Creek
    • Cedar Island
    • Shipyard Canal
    • Turner Flats
    • Shipyard Island
    • Orange Creek
    • Orange Island
    • Slippery Creek
    • Gaines Island
    • Gaines Slough
    • Eldora
    • Vanns Island
    • Cucumber Slough
    • Clark Slough
    • Middle Island
    • Eddy Creek
    • Pelican Island
    • Max Hoeck Creek
    • Max Hoeck Back Creek
    • Dummit Creek
    • Marsh Bay Creek
    • Gressy Point
    • Pattillo Creek

Callaisa Creek
    Big Cove
    Browns Bay
    Snake Creek
    Webster Creek
    upload_2017-3-4_3-2-35.png

Bottle Island
    Bottle Island Creek
    Fox Spli
    Sedar Creek
    Cedar Island
    upload_2017-3-4_3-3-29.png

Shipyard Canal
    Turner Flats
    Shipyard Island
    Orange Creek
    Orange Island
    Slippery Creek
    Gaines Island
    Gaines Slough
    Eldora
    upload_2017-3-4_3-4-1.png

Vanns Island
    Cucumber Slough
    Clark Slough
    upload_2017-3-4_3-4-35.png

Middle Island
    upload_2017-3-4_3-4-58.png

Vanns Island
    upload_2017-3-4_3-5-25.png

Cucumber Slough
    upload_2017-3-4_3-5-48.png

Eddy Creek
    Pelican Island
    Max Hoeck Creek
    Max Hoeck Back Creek
    upload_2017-3-4_3-6-7.png

Dummit Creek
    Marsh Bay Creek
    upload_2017-3-4_3-6-49.png

Pattillo Creek
    upload_2017-3-4_3-9-7.png

Gressy Point
    upload_2017-3-4_3-9-46.png

jdham likes this.
  4. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey

Thanks for the post...great info...the boat launch info is great, there are a several here I was unaware of. I greatly appreciate your work.

5. frank jowers

frank jowers Pirate

Thank you Sam for the ramp info they will come in handy

6. webeboatin

webeboatin Pirate

Hopefuly some grass will grow back on it soon!

7. diverdown7

diverdown7 Greenhorn

Great info, thank you

8. nvanprooyen

nvanprooyen Junior Member

Wow. Tons of great information in this thread. Thanks so much for putting it together.

Quick question about parking lot 5 at CNS. I've noticed the canoe / kayak launch down the hill when I've been out there hanging at the beach...but lot 5 is almost always full in my experience. Are you allowed to park down by the launch area?

9. Florida Fish Hunter

Florida Fish Hunter Blackbeard

Only if you have a kayak and are going to launch from there. They continuously check and enforce that spot.

nvanprooyen likes this.
  10. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

you will get ticketed!!! and maybe Towed... DO NOT TAKE UP A SPOT MEANT FOR A BOAT TRAILER!!! Or I will push your truck into the river myself LOL

11. nvanprooyen

I parked there, but I launched my kayak from there. I don't have a boat trailer but I have a bed extender on my truck. That's allowed right? Seriously asking. There was a ranger down there and we just said good morning to each other while I was unloading, so figured it was all good.

12. nvanprooyen

Cool :) Thank you for the info.

13. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Yes that would be OK.... I thought you meant just to park

nvanprooyen likes this.
  14. nvanprooyen

Nah :) Knew better than that. I've been going out to CNS forever, but just to the beach. I know they are super vigilant about people parking like jerks, especially at lot 5. Just wasn't sure if they allowed you to park down there when launching.

15. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

if not sure, ask at the gate.