1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Anybody Shrimping Up Here?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by WetBandit, May 21, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Can anyone clue me in to the shrimp patterns up here in NW FL? I've have some clues about winter shrimping but is there a summer run?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

search the forum and you will find a lot of information on this.

However it is a Shrimp Migration.
    The winter Shrimp Migration starts around November gets going good in February, March and ends Mayl
    The Summer White Shrimp Starts around July

3. Ootytwo

Ootytwo Newbie

I have been trying to find the same information.
    If I luck up and find a spot or run pattern I'll let y'all Know!

4. WetBandit

Thread Started By

Sweet, that would be great. I have only come across one lead from a very old post on another forum but I haven't been able to pinpoint where the spot truly is or what patterns are associated with it.

5. Ootytwo

Ootytwo Newbie

I understand that a shrimp run happens September and October at Mud Cove on Alligator Point.
    I have heard from a couple of locals that you can limit out at times. (from the beach)

I haven't been down in a couple of weeks or so but will be down the 28th for a snapper charter.
    If i get more info I'll report it.
    Mud Cove begins somewhere between Bald Point and Alligator point and ends about where the old KOA was located.

Keep Looking

mak likes this.
  6. WetBandit

Thread Started By

Mud cove is the spot I had heard of but I haven’t been able to find anything about when the run is. Thanks for sharing.

7. chickenchaps

chickenchaps Pirate

Good information to know.

8. Ootytwo

Ootytwo Newbie

I talked with some other locals the other day and confirmed the September/October mud cove run.
    This buddy said it was hit or miss but a limit was not an unheard of catch.
    No one seems to be able o tell me the tide to shrimp on.
    Guess I'll try the outgoing tide first like in the Halifax.

9. WetBandit

Thread Started By

You’re the man! Did anyone comment on daytime versus night time netting?

10. Ootytwo

Ootytwo Newbie

Nope
    I’m just going to try outgoing tides first.
    The problem is finding the time to try!
    I have come to realize retired only means you don’t get weekends and holidays off anymore !

11. WetBandit

Thread Started By

Oh man, I hope that changes for ya! I'm gonna try and get out there sometime between labor day and early duck season to see if I can't figure something out. I really only have weekends, I might be able to make an evening run during the week if I make it a point to get to work early. I'll make sure to say hello if I see you out there.

12. Two years ago, I was down in your area and was having trouble catching baby grunts for bait in the surf. All there was, was tiny rain bait. I waded fifteen yards out and threw the cast net into knee to thigh deep water, and came up with three nice shrimp in the net. I was hooked! Spent the rest of the week, slinging the net. Had a blast and ate well! I am headed back down the last week of September and hope to repeat the success. We got knocked out of our vacation last year by Hurricane Mike. Made a nice recovery though. Headed to the east coast and fished the finger mullet run for jacks, snook and tarpon.

13. WetBandit

Thread Started By

That's encouraging! I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing what can be done. Just curious, would you be willing to share what general area/island/bay/beach you were finding them?

14. Right out in front of the house that I rented on Gulfshore Dr. As soon as Alligator Dr. hits the beach area, hang a left on Gulfshore. Not sure of the public access, but there were lots of non-renters on the beach, so there are access points. As we get closer, I’ll PM you my contact info. Looking forward to trying out something new. I picked up two swordfishing strobes/lights. I’ll set them to solid green, attach them to a couple 12 oz. in-line weights, and set them about 20’ apart. I heard that if you keep the two light circles about 5’ apart, the shrimp swim through the shadow that is created in between. A little sketched out about the sharks at night. I’ll just be hyper aware and see if it’s worth the trouble.

15. WetBandit

Thread Started By

That sounds like a good time!! There is I think two public beach accesses down there with very limited parking. I usually go down to the state park for the parking reason but I've been out there a couple times. Yes, please PM when you come down. I'd be happy to link up and see if we can get something done.

I wouldn't stress yourself about the sharks. For whatever it's worth, I wade/swim in that area somewhat often and have never had any issues. I do see bonnetheads up shallow, but that's normal and nothing to be concerned about. They are like little puppies, they might come check you out but they can't hurt you. Wading off the beach at night, I would be more concerned about stingrays... make sure to do the stingray shuffle as you are walking around. If that makes you uneasy you could get some wading boots for extra protection.

16. B8871632-4A0F-41D5-8CE1-9D167368A005.png
    A.,

Well, shrimp were practically nonexistent last week. Of the six guys throwing, I don’t think a dozen shrimp were caught. Talked to an old timer who said that he had crushed them two weeks before. Eleven pounds in four hours. The big shrimp trawlers were struggling to get a decent catch offshore, so they ended up making passes incredibly close to shore. Their keel and props must have been shiny!
    Ok, what I have surmised from this, is that I was there during the new moon cycle. Two weeks prior, when the old guy spanked em, would have been during the full moon. You might give it a shot this weekend headed back into the full moon. If you go, give me an update.
    Even though I didn’t catch a single shrimp, I had a great vacation. Caught a few fish, some blue crabs and lost a couple underwater tractor pulls (most likely giant rays!).

17. WetBandit

Thread Started By

Check out that red on the fly nice job!

18. WetBandit

Thread Started By

Thanks for posting a report. It look like there is a good outgoing tide early a.m sunday morning I'll have to see if I can get down there. I ordered a shrimp light on Amazon but it won't be here until next week. Maybe I can find a way to rig up one of my gigging lights with a rod holder off the beach. Otherwise I'll have to try the afternoon outgoing tide. If I get out I'll post a report.

19. coastman411

coastman411 Newbie

You fellows ever do any bait shrimping or deep hole cast netting. We use to do it on the S.C. coast. Never thought about doing here in the panhandle.

20. elvis71056

elvis71056 Junior Member

I use to use a cast net to shrimp when I lived in Pass Christain, Mississippi...shrimp AT NIGHT chum the water with come cat fodd (Like cozy kitten it draws the shrimp