1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Trailer Repair Recommendations (melbourne, Fl)

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by A1A, Jul 12, 2019.

1. A1A

A1A Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Well, looks like I’ll be sitting out of red snapper this year due discovering some major needed repairs to the trailer while pulling it last night.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in the Melbourne, Fl area? I’d like to take it to St. Cloud since it is an amera trail but I don’t want to eat the whole cost of having it towed that far.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

what is wrong with it? bearings?

3. A1A

A1A Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

That’s what started it, once I finally got the hub off and bearings replaced the hub is not going back on all the way. Looks/feels like something is warped. The trailer is 11 years old and there is lots of visible rust and the brakes need to be replaced as well so I’m thinking I will just bite the bullet and get it all done at once.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. Nautical Gator

5. A1A

A1A Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Thanks for the links, I have the same issues, I’ve got a gouge on the spindle that’s not letting me get the bearing and hub assembly onto the spindle.

Hopefully getting someone mobile out here to sand it down enough to get the wheel on it to limp her over to a shop.

As much as I’d like to think I could change the axle myself, I’ll just save myself some heartache and time this go round.

6. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

I blew out bearings and I had to file my spindle on the side of the road in downtown NSB in the hot sun a few years ago. I was able to do it by hand filing and put new bearings on, made it to Pioneer Trailer who fixed me up.

7. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Ferguson Trailer on 192 (W. NEW HAVEN AVE) my father has had his trailer fixed twice there. once for hubs and once for brakes.
    You could actually do it your self. If the hub blew, you can you Emory cloth to file the Spindle smooth. There are different grits of Emory cloth. The new hub should go on then. 2 reasons the hub wont go on, 1. You have the wrong size or 2. the spindle is jacked up. does the Spindle have a drop in the size from the inner to outer bearings. You may need to check that.

Its really not too hard to fix if your willing to give it a shot. Breaks if you need them are also not that hard to do.
    Good luck
    Git r dun

8. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

The weekend Fishing is over so try it yourself.

9. Nautical Gator

that would work as a temporary fix, but the problem will be that the grease will then leak out the back side of the Spindle... so get it trailerable, then expect to replace when you can.

then axle replacement is an easy job...

10. A1A

A1A Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Update: got the hub back off and filed down the spindle to smooth *enough*. Got the hub back on and it’s good enough to trailer now.
    Thinking I’ll bring it over to AmeraTrail in St. Cloud since I’m not too far from them and got some good recommendations from friends who have had work done there.

11. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Let us know how it went after you get it back.

12. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

I just replaced the axle and hubs on my boat trailer - that might be a do-able solution. Wish I had a few reputable trailer and boat places local.

13. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

What city are you in?

14. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

Boat is near New Smyrna, Me near Orlando

15. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

B+G Trailers in Deland seems like they are pretty good. David’s on West Colonial in Orlando also.

If Near your boat you can always try Surplus Unlimited, its in Daytona Beach.

16. A1A

A1A Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Got the boat back after about 4 days in the shop. Two new axles, 4 new tires, and new brakes all around. She’s a brand new trailer now and pulls great!

I highly recommend the folks at AmeraTrail. They were a great group to deal with!

Jeepster likes this.
  17. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Cool. Glad to hear yo7 got he back and are happy with the service and work.
    Now get that boat to the water and catch some fish!

18. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Amera trail does good work if your in Orlando Saint Cloud area.

19. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Yeah Ameratrail does make a nice trailer but they are very expensive.

20. FLJNR

FLJNR Blackbeard

I'm sure your trailer is fixed by now. For anyone else I just redid my while trailer suspension, brackets, jack, winch, everything and got all my parts from https://www.boattrailerparts.com they have everything you need and free shipping when over $149 which almost every order is.