1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Shrimping In The Palatka Area

Discussion in 'Cast-net Shrimping for Summer White Shrimp (R)' started by Love2Fish, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer
    Shrimping Report By

Shrimping in the Palatka area

(posted by Chris)

There is shrimp from Lake George to the ocean in Jacksonville. The hottest area is from Palatka to Green Cove Springs and downtown Jacksonville. The whole area has been loaded with shrimp in the past. I have heard of one guy on a boat who cast netted two nets and got over 5 gallons of shrimp. I personally cast net for shrimp from the Green Cove Springs pier several times. First time I shrimped 4 years ago I got 1 1/2 gallons, second time 5 gallons and the third time 2 gallons (in November) in the same year. The next three years shrimping wasn't good. Two ways to shrimp for the brown shrimp found in the St. John's river.

One is during the day. To shrimp in the day, you have to use a boat. It works the best if you have a sonar. The shrimp will be in the deepest areas of the rivers. They will look like a cloud above the floor of the river on the sonar. It is best to use the same type of net you use with white shrimp at Big Tree. The net would have a 2-3 inch strip in the out side edge that slows down and spreads the net out. This type of shrimping is equivilent to the white summer shrimp. I am not experienced with this type of shrimping, but learned from others.

The other way is to shrimp at night is in shallower water. This works best if you use bait to attract the shrimp. At night the shrimp feed, thus they head out of the deeps to eat near the shoreline. This is the kind of shrimping I do for I do not have a boat. I usually shrimp at night at Green Cove Springs. Palatka also has a dock that can be shrimpped from. The pier is lighted, but it is not necessary for catching shrimp. There is no lights needed in the water either. You basicly blind cast over your baited area. The night I got my 5 gallons, I was getting 30 shrimp in one cast. Shrimping starts about 7:30pm at night and will last all night until morning. I usually finished up by 1100pm. One note: Shrimping from a pier means it is 5 gallons per person, not per boat.

The best time to shrimp on the St' John's is from August through the first of November. The earlier you shrimp, the smaller the shrimp will be. Late shrimping in November usually will not give you a full pull. If it rains in the area from a tropical storm or such, there is chances that the shrimp will move out. Shrimp like a little salt in their water. September seems to be the best month to shrimp. I have not noticed if tides make any difference, but I am sure they do. Shrimping is always better with the water moving. One word of note: St. John's shrimp are more fishy tasting that the Oak Hill or summer white shrimp. It is not a strong fishy taste, but nerveless you can taste it.

Les, The Palatka bridge is pretty obvious if you google map Palatka. There is only one bridge that crosses the St' John's near Palatka. It is route 20. Do you know if they shrimped during the day, or at night?

I was originally planning to have a shrimping trip for the club this September, but my wife came up lame. She has to have a knee replacement the first of October. She was working, but now can't work and is waiting. I will talk with Dewey (mufflerbearing) next week to see if he will sponsor a trip. Earlier there was many who had interest in trying it out.

Chris

At Green Cove Springs, I have seen a red fish caught. Flounder has been caught while cast netting. Fresh water fish can also be caught. I have caught shad while cast netting. Seen a large blue gill caught. So it is really a mixture. The water is brackish. I have seen mullet caught in Lake Monroe. Likewise I caught mullet in the net at Green Cove Springs.

csx bridge up that way is south of palates in satsuma

bogman102 likes this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Organically posted by firedriver on our old YUKU forum

we have been shrimping in the green cove area for years and it is definately heating up. our next trip is gonna be on the supermoon at the end of the month.for those who havent shrimped the st. johns we learned from a little old man a little saying; water no move, no shrimp.we have found that to be very true.outgoing tide is the best and thewater needs to move or the shrimp are sparse. if youre going watch the tide chart, and keep that in mind.yall have fun and be safe!!! Bob

3. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

Excellent information! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the detailed information. I don't throw a cast net so I will be looking for a good bridge site and hang some lights. Should be moving next to High Bridge right around shrimping time!

4. Jim

Jim Pirate

Great post Chris, I've purchased 2 of Capt. Rons dip pole nets ( about 20' ) and haven't been able to even get them wet yet ! Bought them about 2 mts. ago. That really sucks!!!

5. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer
    Shrimping Report By

You can use those great dip nets starting in December. So be patient...

6. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

I'm bringing a couple of dip nets And lights with me tomorrow night to Oakhill. Going to check out the blood moon and do a little shrimping. Hope there's shrimp moving.
    The tide time will be perfect.

7. Sirshrimpsalot

Sirshrimpsalot Cabin Boy

I had friend of mine tell me his friend was going shrimping last night for the full blood moon. He said the last time he shrimped during this moon he slayed them. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

8. DamYankee

DamYankee Pirate

Which pier in Green Cove? There's two of them I could see being used for shrimp plus the one across the river.

9. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer
    Shrimping Report By

I shrimp from the pier right at Green Cove Springs park. Really a nice location and the people are usually friendly. Shrimping at Green Cove Springs is a late summer-fall event.

10. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

It's September 2017 and there are a few reports starting to come in. Is anyone interested in trying to have a club trip?

11. David White

David White Newbie

Its funny
    Its funny you mention a guy throwing 2 nets. My dad lives and shrimps that area. Hes die hard, even as hes getting older he still doesnt hesitate to throw both when they are running good.

12. steve myers

steve myers Newbie

whats the advantage of throwing 2 nets? I assume one on each side of the boat?
    Looking for more fishing buddies & more places to try
    Or share a offshore party boat trip.
    I fish the st Johns river near Satsuma, mostly.

13. Team Cobialicious

Team Cobialicious Powder Monkey

Nice post chris.We shrimped in green cover spring years ago.

14. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer
    Shrimping Report By

It has been quite a while since I shrimp there. The are not as thick as they were in past years.

15. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

It's now Jamuary 2018 and about time to start nabbing some red ones in Volusia and Brevard. After eating the reds, the white ones are like spam compared to a steak.

16. mudbug

mudbug Newbie

mmmmmmmmmm........ spam

17. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Carpenter

Great post on St Johns River shrimp. Haven’t been but my brother in law and I have talked about it before. Might have to pick up a castnet and give it a try this fall.

18. Karl B

Karl B Rigger

I was just doing research myself on the Palatka River area for shrimp. Currently closing on a house in Edgewater, and that will get me closer to my brother in Oak Hill, and the fishing in Volusia County. When living in Pass Christian, Mississippi we baited and cast netted for shrimp all the time. I wish I could still throw a 15' net. I guess it starts in that area in September. I will post when I venture that way.

19. Floridays

Floridays Pirate

Welcome to the area Karl

20. Thanks second time over to the east side shrimping. Hoping to land a few thanks for the information. I'll post pic if I luck up.