1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

120 Blue Crabs In 120 Minutes Mosquito Lagoon 7/27

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by David Orlando, Aug 4, 2017.

1. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Let me start off by appologizing for the late report!

Now that I'm done with that, let me tell you about our first successful crabbing day.

My wife, Christy, and I took our Pastor's family crabbing for their first time. The Dad was nice enough to stay home with their 7 year old girl so Mom and the 3 teenage boys could leave at 7am for the beach.

We got our first chicken leg in the water by 8am and caught nothing for the first 30 minutes which was totally disappointing. We tried another spot and caught a couple there so we moved locations. Around 9am someone turned on the crabbing light because we were all chasing down those moving white strings. We were spending more time getting the crabs out of the net than we were waiting for the next bit. At the peak of activity, the runaway chickens had to wait for a clean net. We started throwing back eating size ones at the end trying to bolster our catch with some bigguns. We called it quits crabbing at 11am.

When we got home and cleaned our crabs, we then realized our zeal was larger than our stomaches. 115 Blue Crabs!!! So we invited the neighbors. 4 teenage boys, 7 seafood loving adults and a couple hours later, we had our fill. Then we picked the rest of the crab resulting in 1.9 lbs of meat that made 16 colossal crab cakes 2 days later!

It was super awesome! Can't wait to take someone else, because I'm done cleaning them buggers for a while, LOL.

20431750_10213499233945949_1563197975853927421_n.jpg

20431192_10213499233465937_2904858162279867421_n.jpg

20431718_1549667731758074_4028959957267343045_n.jpg

20479574_1549669808424533_5033786025493777325_n.jpg

2. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

Nice haul! Those look delicious!

3. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Way to go Dave and crew. Glad you guys loaded up! Great pics...your making me hungry! :good post:

4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

Very nice day of crabbing!! Looks delicious!

5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

Wow that's awesome!! Looks great

6. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Slamma Jamma! Nice haul of crab. That will keep your hands busy and dirty. Thanks for the report.

7. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Just a great report and pictures! They look like good sized crabs too! The picture with the one in the net looks good sized!
    Were you down by Cocoa? The crabs up here are smaller on average!

8. dasugaman101

dasugaman101 Pirate in the making

Nice, what of mosquito lagoon where you in? I was thinking of taking the family and some friends net week . About 8 of us.

9. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Southern end of Mosquito Lagoon in a marsh, so they are protected from all the big fish that eat them.

10. slaysled

slaysled Treasure Hunter

Some serious crabbing and really good eating. I agree with the amount of cleaning you don't want to do it again for months.

11. chickenchaps

chickenchaps Pirate

WOW! That is awesome!!! My mouth is watering!!! What a great haul!! Good for you and your friends!!

12. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

Great haul! Haha, no Myrna will be bugging me to take her to the lagoon crabbing.

13. ORLANDOFLORIDA

ORLANDOFLORIDA Treasure Hunter

Lots of work picking but tastes great

14. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Wow! Epic haul! Friends to help clean and eat. Great day.

15. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Great haul for sure, Good thing you had some help.

16. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

That's awesome. Looks like it was a great time. Gotta love those fresh crabcakes. Tftr

17. MyMy86

MyMy86 Blackbeard

You guys cleaned up! I'm drooling by just looking at the pics. Lol. Nice work.

18. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Thanks for the response! Did you measure the crabs point to point? They look good sized1
    The crabs up by New Smyrna Beach average 5.5 to 6 inches.
    A couple years ago I caught 120 crabs for the year. Only two were 6.5 inches!
    The claws are also small on these crabs. A 6.5 inch crab usually has a good set of claws but these don't.

19. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Powder Monkey

Awesome catch! Thanks for report they are alot of work but are super tasty

20. scasios76

scasios76 Blackbeard

Nice catch and good eats. hopefully I can get my hands busy with the crabs this weekend.