1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Hook Accidents

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by Matt Baldridge, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Matt Baldridge

Matt Baldridge Rigger
    Fishing Chatter

Anyone ever been hooked bad or accidentally hook your buddy. It happened to me this morning, took a buddy out who I haven’t seen in a while. He was a novice fisherman at best, my mistake was having him throw a plug lol. As we’re fishing I feel the plug hit the back of my leg ouch. After a closer look it’s apparent, 2 hooks buried into the back of my thigh, way past the barb on both hooks. After trying my absolute hardest to yank it out with pliers I headed home and now im at the ER. Good times!

72BBA7AF-11CB-4035-9DE6-75CED6A5E49A.jpeg

CD42D400-1CDC-491E-A804-1E1D40DEB2D8.jpeg

2. Tarpun

Tarpun Pirate

OUCH! Sorry for your hard luck. Had a fishing buddy that was a hook magnet. At least 4 ER trips over the years. A couple of close calls for me fishing with him over the years. My daughter had to go to the ER at 13yo with a hook thru her ear. There was a man there with a #2 hook in his hand. She claimed braggin' rights as her 's was Mustad 7732 8/0 big game hook.

Matt Baldridge likes this.
  3. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Don’t you hate it when that happens! One barb is bad enough, but TWO! Ouch!

4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

Ouch. That sucks. Good luck in the ER.

5. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

That stinks. My buddy Scott get a plug stuck in his hand with a ladyfish bouncing around in the other end of it. That was a trip to the ER as well. Fortunately mine have never made it past the barb.

6. Volleybum

Volleybum Master Gunner

Ouch, that does not look like a fun time. Good luck at the ER!

7. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Ouch! That’s always my fear... from both self-inflicted and anyone near me. Especially worry at piers and when fishing with the father-in-law.
    last time I got myself bad was last year reaching in to grab a big netted Snook. I caught both treble hooks and had 5 tear-outs when it was all over. I guess in the end it was better than having to deal with getting them out myself or going to hospital if unsuccessful... but really painful and I was bleeding like a stuck pig.
    Other bad incident was also self-inflicted about three decades back. Yanking a plug out of a bush And it flew back at high speed directly at me. Hit me in the head and I could see it hanging down in front of my eye. Turned to my wife and said please tell me this is stuck in my hair... It was stuck deep in my eyebrow. Went to hospital where nimrod doctor tried first with a ring cutter, then rusty needle-nose pliers before I finally told him I was going to go across the street and buy a pair of side-cutters if he couldn’t get his act together... Spent the next night and day sick and barfing from reaction to the tetanus shot.
    When still dating my future wife back in high school I was out fishing with her family in Brunswick. Watched her mom swing her heavy action rod forward as hard as she could with both arms. The hook (behind one of those big 12” balsa floats and a 2 oz weight) caught my future father-in-law right in the middle of the upper lip. (Jumbo live shrimp still attached at this point). Without missing a beat, and before he had a chance to grab the line, she lunges forward again with both arms as hard as she could, this time trying to complete the cast with a 200lb+ man attached. His lip swelled just a little on the way to the hospital...

Bossman, Jeepster and Mboat like this.
  8. Matt Baldridge

Matt Baldridge Rigger
    Fishing Chatter

Damn those are some bad hook stories damn lol

Bossman likes this.
  9. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Damn ! That's gonna smart when it comes out .

They used to give away this " hook remover kit " at some of the tournaments we fished years ago.
    Guy that made it was in on sponsorship and trying to market the thing.
    One day he 's standing in line to meet people coming in off the water, and I had a chance to ask him if he had ever used the device on himself.
    He replied "No , I'm a doctor, I go to the ER " !
    Took the kit apart kept the scalpel lookin thing ,and thru the rest in the trash can.

Jeepster and Matt Baldridge like this.
  10. mak

I’ve read about and seen the illustrations for years on how to remove by pushing the eye end down toward the skin, and tying a cord to the bend and yanking parallel and away from barbed section. It seems like under the right conditions that would work well. Of course not if you have multiple sides of a treble in at the same time...
    I fortunately haven’t had the opportunity to try yet, but I don’t think I could do the push-through method by myself... I’m squeamish with needles, sure don’t see myself pushing a hook through.

Jeepster, Matt Baldridge and Mboat like this.
  11. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Seadog

Years ago my son got a hook in his toe at the beach. A friend of mine who happens to be a surgeon was there with us. He snipped off the eye and threaded the barb all the way around so it poked out and then pulled the rest of the shank out. It hurt to watch but did less damage in this situation.

Jeepster, Matt Baldridge and mak like this.
  12. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Yeah , the push the eye down and yank method .... toss in a 20 ft center rollin around in some three footers with a fish on the other line and the depth comin up fast.
    Those illustration's , and videos are done at someone's desk or in the back yard .

A couple of years ago while removing a just boated Walleye from a Shadrap , and in a hurry to reset the line before starting a turn , the fish does a power flip on the deck throwing the lure on a tight line.
    As per usual, it heads right for my face.
    I ducked to avoid it, but with the boat rolling pretty hard in the weather, I put my hand up to keep my balance and caught one of the treble's in the middle knuckle, of ring finger.
    The more I messsed with it the worse it got.
    Ended up with an ER visit to have it cut out.
    Had just put on new set of " Lazer sharp " Hooks.
    They worked.
    The Sacrifices we make for the joy of fishing

Jeepster, Matt Baldridge and mak like this.
  13. Jeepster

Jeepster Swabbie

I used to run a His and Hers bass fishing tournament trail with the goal of getting wives into fishing. After seeing treble hooks in ears, and hands, I decided to preach safety before each tournament. I can tell you blood his hard to get out of bass boat carpet. I guess the best thing to come out of this tournament trail effort was the chance to purchase some nice boats at a good price.

Matt Baldridge, Mboat and mak like this.
  14. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Yes indeed. Always have to figure that into the plan.
    Fished one with "her" down on the St.Johns .
    After she manages to hang a #4 light wire hook into the meaty part of her palm , a "disagreement" takes place regarding the amount of travel time needed to make the weigh in, and whether or not I was Qualified to remove the new jewelry from her hand .
    The "disagreement" escalated to the point of using our outside voices.( damn Irish women get so cranked up )
    With a bit of unsuccessful surgery using fish pliers and a rag, I get the hook out of her hand.
    Blood all over the new matching white tournament shirts , and her raisin hell, was not in the plan of the day, but I'm dealing with it as best as I can.
    We make it into the NO Wake/ Manatee Zone coming into upper Lake Monroe , I look back to check traffic and see the camera boat right behind us.... Filming. Perfect !
    After some explaining and convincing that we were fine and on our way in for the day, we proceed.

Total silence for the next hour.
    I blame it on the moon .

Matt Baldridge, mak and Jeepster like this.
  15. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

That's gonna leave a mark.

16. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

Just saw this - ouch! Sorry about that.

17. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

Nope - you need someone else with enough strength to pull it, gab it with a decent pair of pliers, push in and down, away from the barb, tell em to count to 5 and yer gonna pull, yank it out around a #2 count. Surprise!

I've been fortunate not to have any deep ones with barbs - got a barbless fly in the eye once way back when. Felt it, determined which way to pull and pulled it out. Have a vein with a perfect red circle at the end of it in one of my eyes. That could have been so bad.

18. mak

IN THE EYE??? :eek:
    Holy crap! No, I would be at the hospital for that.
    Sure a good thing there was no barb (as if anything in the eye is a good thing...)

Rich M likes this.
  19. JTovet

JTovet Newbie

Ouch! My cousin hooked my eyelid when we were kids. We were fishing next to each other, and he wasnt paying attention when he was casting.

Jeepster likes this.
  20. mak

Any hook incident is bad but getting near the eyes is always scary.

Bossman likes this.