1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Gardening

Discussion in 'Member Hobbies' started by Nautical Gator, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Another hobby of mine is Gardening

DSC00599.JPG

DSC00596.JPG

P4200045.JPG

ashley robinson and mkyota1 like this.
  2. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey

Great looking garden. I grow hops and veggies in about a 1/2 acre plot. What are you using for your weed blocking material in the pic looks like it works quite well.

3. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Looks like you got some nice greens and cabbage going there. Heck of a garden.

4. Alps

Alps Swashbuckler

Looks less like 'gardening' and more like 'farming'. :confused: Good on you. Healthy eating there. Plenty to go with fish tacos, seafood gumbo, etc.
    Very well maintained, thumbs-up.

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

First of I have a tiller, and turn under the garden a few times before planting, this kills all the roots. Then when the weeds start I spray

41% Gly Star® Plus Glyphosate Herbicide, 2-1/2 Gallon
    Gly Star® Plus is a non-selective herbicide used to kill a wide selection of weeds and woody brush. The active ingredient in Gly Star® Plus is glyphosate. The glyphosate concentration is 41 percent. Used as directed, this herbicide will help control weeds around fence lines, landscaping edges, building foundations and more. This herbicide will help you control over 100 weeds if used properly. See product labeling for mix ratios and use.

6. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey

Yeah I use the same stuff. I use the exterminator sold at Walmart. I just bought 7 gallons of concentrate (each makes 85 gallons) yesterday for $9 per gallon marked down for winter. What a steal. I need to spray several acres next year to redo my food plots for the whitetail. For weed control I also put 3 foot plastic between rows and mulch between the plants with straw. I irrigate with "mister landscaper" by placing a dripper on each plant. Allows a deep soaking to each plant in 10 minutes but doesn't put water where I don't want it. Last season I had a great yield of sweet corn, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, bell and jalepeno peppers, okra, squash, cucumbers, asparagus, green beans, and several varieties of lettuce.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  7. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Now I know where to get my produce from. :eatin pizza:

8. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey

Correction on the walmart spray it is the eliminator. Same chemical as roundup butg twice the concentration at 41%

9. John Reid

John Reid Powder Monkey

The 24 cu ft freezer is quite full of produce plus 220 lbs of venison and a bunch of fish. Everyone plans to come to my house if the apocalypse happens lol...

10. ashley robinson

ashley robinson Greenhorn

Very nice! We have a small chicken farm, gardening is our next venture.

11. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

12. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

Very nice garden. I used to spray and used synthetic fertilizers. After my eyes were opened to all the harmful chemicals used in our society my family and I went almost 100% organic. We actually make our own deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen, lotion, and essential oils. We sold them for a while and did well but a lot of work. We still make for our family.

Anyway, I saw a study that shows America with more than double the cancer rate than any other country. They correlated it to pesticides/herbicides in our food and our health care products. Take a look into either and you will see what I am talking about. So that was when we made the switch.

In farming, going all organic, especially in Florida, has been very challenging. Sometimes we lose the battle to pests and disease but I feel better about it. If you have a plan in place to combat everything you face here you have a chance. We do a lot of companion planting, and will use OMRI approved sprays for pests and disease.

Back to the post. You have a very nice garden. Would love to check it out sometime and I will brings some seeds and plants as presents. LOL

13. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

14. Jeepster

Jeepster Swabbie

Miracle Grow works wonders.

15. duffy

duffy Powder Monkey

Bt is what we use for worms. Also look into companion planting.

16. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

that's too difficult to do... I plant all in rows...

Just tilled it under yesturday

20200208_141202.jpg

and got some seeds today, going to start to germinatethem this week.

P2100018.JPG

20200209_122512.jpg

20200209_155125.jpg

17. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

18. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Damn, that’s a large variety you are planting. Thumbsup1:::1
    I absolutely hate yard work and have never had any desire to do a garden. I’m at the mercy of the local farmer’s market and grocery store :p

19. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

don't worry I'll let you come and pick some Smiley Laughing018::1

20. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Planted the seeds so that they can germinate, set them in front of my french doors out of direct sunlight. Let's see if they grow?

Monday the 10th
    144 seeded plants

P2100020.JPG

mak likes this.